“Episodes of care” is a term used to define identifiable start and predictable end-of-care points for treatment of specific clinical conditions. For healthcare administrators, the term “episode-based payments” is even more pertinent because Medicare and other commercial insurance companies base the amount they will pay on these specific episodes.
Purchasing for Episodes of Care
Understanding "episodes of care" is everyone’s business, especially in the outpatient setting. In this article, medical writer Beth W. Orenstein indicates that the number of outpatient procedures has almost tripled in recent years and is averaging 54 million procedures/year. She also shares some of the top 10 episodes of care in outpatient procedures for which you may be provisioning this year. Among them are Meniscus repair, skin therapies, small joint repair, tendon and muscle repair.
Below are some examples of medical equipment and supplies you may need for five of the top outpatient episode of care procedures:
- Langenbeck retractors
- Noncrushing intestinal clamps
- Tension-free and/or polyester mesh
- Conjunctival scissors
- Disposable blades
- Disposable vitrectors
- Forceps, needle holders
- Instrument sterilizing boxes, lid, silicone mat
3. Gallbladder Removal (Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy)
- 300w Xenon light source
- High-resolution video endoscopy system
- High-flow CO2 insufflator
- High-resolution color monitors
- Langenbeck retractors
- Littlewood forceps, Lahey forceps/skin hooks, small artery forceps
- Metzenbaum scissors
- Nontoothed/toothed forceps
- Unipolar diathermy
- Electric drill
- Mastoid gouge
- Lempert’s curette
- Long gauze pieces
Planning is Essential for Ease-of-Operations in Healthcare Organizations
Concordance Healthcare Solutions is a healthcare distribution company that uses customizable and innovative supply chain solutions. It’s what we do best. Concordance equipment and supplies can help keep your community health center operating at maximum performance doing what you do best, i.e., delivering the best healthcare as sensibly and affordably as possible. Our partnership with your center is based on your expectations and needs. We will commit to that partnership by:
- Working toward flexibility by being responsive and attentive to your specific healthcare supply needs.
- Collaborating on cost-saving supply chain programs and clinical solutions.
- Offering a broad array of products and technologies from a diverse mix of suppliers for the best in patient care.
- Providing you with knowledgeable, dependable and compassionate sales and service that takes action to provide solutions at all levels of the supply chain.
- Serving as your go-to resource and advisor in the ever-changing healthcare environment.
- Supporting the logistics, contracts and processes behind the quality-brand products that you prefer.
Contact your nearest distribution center for more information about how Concordance Healthcare Solutions can meet your center's needs for identifiable episodes of care. We’ll review previous procedures and discuss the probabilities of increases or decreases in equipment and supply usage for the coming year.